Pages

February 14, 2011

Have a Geeky Valentine


Today is Valentine's Day, first thing's first... I'm not going to use this forum and build a list of the top ten "geek gifts" for Valentine's Day. Mostly because I got lazy and didn't have time to do any research.

Honestly, I've been wanting to post about geeky Valentine's Day card's for ages and today is the day. Originally I wasn't going to write anything long winded on the subject, but for some reason I got inspired and the words keep coming out.

A lot of us dismiss this as a fake holiday created by corporations. That might be true but honestly why should it matter? Like most men, I'm not a huge fan of V day.  Not because I don't want to show my feelings or make a grand gesture to demonstrate to my partner how I feel but because its forced.


So here's a trick that I figured out will ensure that your partner will never give you grief for forgetting or just not doing anything "special".

When I'm in a relationship with someone I've always had one rule when it comes to gestures of affection. Don't wait until today to do it! Do it on January 15th, do it June 3rd, do it in November, do it once a week/month (not year!), be it flowers, a dinner out, a special note left on the table/fridge... whatever you do just do it when he or she doesn't expect it.

I think that if you have strong feelings for someone it shouldn't be a chore, doing it should bring a smile to your face and if it doesn't well then I can't help you there.  Don't wait until you're technically obligated to do it. Look, I'm no expert in relationships, I've make my mistakes numerous times and still occasionally slip, but I get back up and learn. I truly believe that those unexpected moments will be 1000x more special (and remembered!) than whatever you do on Valentine's Day, no matter how grandiose (OK if you buy her a mansion then that's another ball game).

Enough of that, lets get back to what I originally wanted to post. Here are some unique Valentine cards for the Geek in your life. The cards originally appeared a few years ago on VGCats.com and I've yet to find any other cards that are geekier than these. If you're not geek enough to know what video games these cards are based on the first is based on Phoenix Wright followed by Zelda and the last one is from Metroid.

No comments:

Post a Comment